Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I'm a Judge at the New York Horror Film Festival...

...which pretty much defines the term "right up my alley."

The festival runs from November 13th through the 16th: Here's more detailed info. I was recently a judge at the New York Asian Film Festival, and it was a blast. So I expect this one to be even more fun, given my lifelong passion for the genre.

One film has already jumped out fo the pack of movies in competition for its sky high "what the f**k" factor, which was the gold standard to which old-school Times Square habitues like myself held grindhouse movies. High WTF factor didn't necessarily mean a movie was good... it just meant you had never, ever in all your born days seen that before. And this particular movie was a pleasant surprise because it was made by someone whose first feature (which ranked high on the WTF scale of the day -- no mean feat back then) was released more than 25 years ago. I love to see a mature filmmaker prove that s/he still has the power to make jaws drop!

1 comment:

Grrowler said...

I figured thats what it was. I'm going to see if I can catch some of the movies. I saw Roger Corman screen The Masque of the Red Death there a few years ago. Great stuff.