Tuesday, January 19, 2010

New edition of Broken Mirrors/Broken Minds: The Dark Dreams of Dario Argento...

The University of Minnesota Press web page for the expanded edition of Broken Mirrors/Broken Minds is online and it's finally starting to feel real to me.

I really can't believe it's been 15 years since the last edition and 20 since the first... let alone that it's been 25 years since I started the research that would become my Columbia University master's thesis and get the whole ball rolling. I mean, I wrote that thing on an electric typewriter! And I did the first book manuscript on a Kaypro (look at this dinosaur of a computer; it was "portable" because you could latch the keyboard to the CPU, revealing a handle, but trust me -- by the time you lugged that thing to your local coffee joint, you'd be too exhausted to write anything... and they wouldn't have had an outlet for you to plug it into anyway; the Kaypro didn't have a battery), back when floppy discs were floppy. And that was after an ordeal by scanning I would love to forget... let's just say that character-recognition software then wasn't what it is now.

1 comment:

brian w said...

OK...the story of writing the book would make a good book!

So excited for this Maitland!!!!

I think I might just have to watch Suspiria today instead of the Super Bowl.