Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sherlock Holmes Speaks!

I first read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories as a young teenager, and I was immediately hooked. Next thing you know, I'd bought a copy of Sir William S. Baring Gould's Annotated Sherlock Holmes, my first brush with extreme fandom.

I'm writing an essay about The Hound of the Baskervilles (the novel and the 1939 film, which introduced Basil Rathbone as Holmes), and while trolling the web came across this interview with Doyle. I had no idea there was film of him talking about the origin of Sherlock Holmes"

So I felt compelled to share. Be warned, thoough, that about halfway through he starts talking about spiritualism, another of his great passions. If you're not interested, stop watching: There's no more about the great detective once he gets on to the psychic stuff.

No comments: