Sunday, February 22, 2009

And now it's on to best actor, to the theme from The Magnificent Seven...

God, how did I forget that Michael Douglas had a best actor Oscar for Wall Street? Oh right... I tried really, really hard.

Adrian Brody's incredibly gracious, respectful speech about Richard Jenkins and The Vistor is going to go down as one of my favorite moments of this broadcast. He's not going to win, but my God, Jenkins was great and it's a real pleasure to see a veteran character actor get his moment in the sun..

Can you say "bleached blond battered bruiser" five times fast? I can't.

The evening's first unpset: Sean Penn gets best actor for Milk! Not that he doesn't richly deserve it, but comeback-kid Mickey Rourke was the sentimental favorite for The Wrestler and I really believe Penn's surprise that the Academy's "commie, homo-loving sons of guns" went with him. And good for him for coming out (as it were) in support of gay marriage and for taking the time to praise Rourke.

He's a pain in the ass and he knows it, but Penn has the courage of his convictions whether or not they're in line with popular opinion.

No comments: